Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Today Was Good!

Today was good.  
Today was fun. 
Tomorrow is another one.
-Dr. Seuss
I was feeling a little down yesterday.  I had planned to do a choice menu for Dr. Seuss week and had all kinds of great ideas.  But then I realized that the kids would probably need more than a week, and with spring break next week, there was no way to extend the unit.  So I was feeling like a bad teacher for not planning better and just wasn't as excited about Dr. Seuss week as I had been earlier.  But we started our unit anyway without the menu, and read a couple Dr. Seuss books and did a writing activity.  Keeping in mind what I've been reading in Dave Burgess' Teach Like a Pirate, I faked enthusiasm until I felt it!  I exchanged some of our word work materials for Dr. Seuss activities for the kids to complete during Daily Five. Instead of reading from our book bags we read Dr. Seuss books. I let our literacy block spill over into our afternoon which is normally our math time, and just did a short math lesson on the Smart board.  At the end of the day, one of my little girls said, "I can't believe it's time to go home.  It feels like we just got here 'cause we had so much fun today!"

Here's hoping tomorrow IS another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment