Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday at Confratute

I’m taking a “reflection break” this evening to  think about some of the things I have learned so far here at Confratute and to really explore all of the many technology tools I’ve learned about. (Plus I am just exhausted! There is a reason people usually go to college at 18 or 19- 50+ year old women get tired too easily!) I’ve found a bench outside my dorm and am just enjoying this beautiful campus and delightful Connecticut weather.


The keynote speaker today was Peter Reynolds, author/illustrator of The Dot and Ish. These are great books for encouraging kids to conquer their fears and to explore their creativity. He has a third book coming out in this “Creatrilogy” called Sky Color. (All three books will be available in a box set.) This message of “don’t be afraid to try” is so important for our kids. I hate hearing my students say “ I can’t do this” or “I’m no good at ____.” One thing that Peter said hit me personally was to be careful about making these kind of statements in front of your students. I am so guilty of this when it comes to drawing. I catch myself saying things like “Well, I’m not a very good artist, but I will try to draw a tiger.” I think I’ll take a clue from Ish and start saying “Well, here is my tiger-ish drawing!”


     
One of the neatest things about Confratute is learning from the other attendees.  While back in our suite this evening I mentioned something called StoryBird I had seen on a blog.  One of our suitemates had used it and gave me more information.  (I can't wait to try this with my kids!) Then my roommate was sharing a website she had used to publish student work.  This has been the most incredible experience, and I am SO grateful to our PTA and administration for enabling us to attend!

No comments:

Post a Comment