Tuesday, July 31, 2012

New (School) Year Resolutions



I have just about given up on making New Year's resolutions since I'm never very successful in keeping them.  But I do like to start each school year with some goals in mind, and maybe making them public will help me achieve them!

  • The first thing on any resolution/goal list I make is to become more organized!  Specifically for this year I want to work on keeping my teaching table clear and organized so I can actually teach there.  I'm getting too old to hold my small group sessions on the floor!  I also resolve to file daily- no more sorting a year's worth of writing samples for writing folders in May.
  • I will implement guided math and meet with small groups 3 times a week.
  • I want to spice up guided reading.  After years of doing reading intervention, working with readers in small groups comes naturally, but it has also become a little bit too routine.  I will organize all the wonderful activities I have found on blogs and Pinterest so that I can easily use them to add some variety to my lessons.  I also want to make sure I am providing my higher readers with a lot of meaningful activities to help them continue to grow as readers.
  • I will utilize technology on a regular basis.  This year I would like to start a class blog and work on developing digital portfolios.
To help myself stay on track, I am also resolving to blog about my progress towards these goals once a month.  I'm putting a reminder on my calendar right now!

What are your resolutions for the new school year?  Link up with Amanda at Teaching Maddeness  and share!

2 comments:

  1. Those are GREAT resolutions, Carol! I hope you'll blog about them throughout the year..I would love to hear more about your digital portfolios. :) Thanks for linking up to the party!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to blog about your progress of keeping your resolutions...and look at that you are already keeping to #1 putting them in your calendar already!! I just found your blog on the New {School} Year Resolution Linky Party, and look forward to follow you! I am your newest follower!

    Julie
    http://msshopesclass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete