Sunday, July 7, 2013

Building Mathematical Comprehension Chapter 4


Before I get into sharing my thoughts on Chapter 4 (very late!), I have to share a couple of my Dollar Tree finds.


 I have been looking for these divided containers for base-ten blocks for months, ever since I saw them on Pinterest.  I saw another blogger, Megan from Mrs. Wheeler's First Grade,  use cutouts similar to these for some simple literacy centers. (The cookies and milk would be great for something related to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie!)  I also got some big foam dice and some coupon holders for flash cards.  Oh, and some pool noodles for a project I hope to have finished so I can share it tomorrow!  I love Dollar Tree!

Now on to Chapter 4!  I had a lot of training early in my teaching career on asking questions at all levels of Bloom's Taxonomy.  It stuck, and now asking questions at higher thinking levels just is just something I do.  But it is important that I am not the only one asking questions.  Students need to learn to ask questions that can help them monitor their own learning and thinking.  We need to build on the natural curiosity of children.
On page 122 there was a sample anchor chart titled "Why Mathematicians Ask Questions?"  I can't wait to make a similar chart with my students this year!  We discuss thick and thin questions in reading all the time so it just makes sense to use these same terms in math. I love Laney's suggestion of introducing the comprehension strategy of asking questions in a small group.

Some of the activities mentioned for helping students develop their questioning skills are ones that I have used before, but not really in math.  I have used Wonder Walls and Question Webs in language arts, science and social studies; now it's time to add them to math lessons as well.  I pinned this on Pinterest the other day- perfect for this chapter!
Pinterest


Please head over to Curls and a Smile and link up to share your thoughts about this chapter.
Curls and a Smile 


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I like that you brought in the idea of the "parking lot"- having a specific place for each student to place their post-it note. A great reminder. Thanks.
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete