Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Plural Noun Practice

We are reviewing nouns this week.  I have noticed that a lot of my friends are adding an apostrophe and the letter s  to words to make them plural, so I decided it was time for a review on how to make a plural noun.  Since I was going to have to do some reteaching anyway, I decided to go ahead and do a thorough study of plural nouns, discussing adding -es, changing y to i and irregular plurals.  Then we will move on to possessive nouns.  Most of these skills are not specifically addressed in our district objectives, but the kids' writing is showing they were ready.
On Monday, I used my morning message to re-introduce plural nouns.  Almost everybody could tell me that the underlined words meant more than one, and most even remembered the term plural.  But I could tell by their comments that they didn't realize that -es had been added to sandwich to make the plural.

Tuesday I had a list of nouns on the easel, and I ask the kids to tell me the plural.  I included words  like sandwich,  kiss, brush, bus and witch. As we said the plural, we clapped the syllables so that they could hear that the plural had an additional syllable.  I then explained that since every syllable has a vowel, we had to add -es to some words.  Then I introduced the rule for adding -es.
We will continue to review throughout the week by forming plurals on the pocket chart, writing sentences using plurals and completing word work activities during Daily 5.  Next week we will talk about possessives and move on changing y to i and irregular plurals after spring break (less than 2 weeks away- Hallelujah!)
I've created some workstation activities to help my friends practice plurals and have decided to test the waters of Teachers Pay Teachers.  I still want to share the things I create, but I thought that maybe by selling a bit I can justify my new clipart obsession!  (I made 3 different purchases just on Sunday afternoon!)  Here's a link to my first product- it's a freebie!
Click to download



I hope to have some more plural activities completed in the next few days.  I don't know if it was the full moon or the front that moved in, but my kids have been CRAZY the past 2 days, and I'm exhausted!  10 day 'til Spring Break and the great outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment