Friday, February 22, 2013

Getting Ready for the Doctor!


We started planning our Read Across America Day this week.  My first grade team will start our celebration on March 1 and continue with a week-long author study the following week.  Although we are still finalizing plans, we hope to end our study with a "Read-In" on Thursday, March 7.  Last year we invited the children to bring blankets and pillows, a healthy snack and their favorite Dr.Seuss books.  We spent the afternoon comfortably reading and watching a Dr. Seuss video.  This year we will be adding crazy hats to honor the theme of this year's celebration- "Hats Off to Reading"- chosen to recognize the anniversary of the book 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.


                                       


I'm going to try something new this year for Dr. Seuss week. I've been wanting to try some differentiation menus with my class, so I have created a choice board for activities to complete based on Dr. Seuss books.  I based my menu on some ideas I found in this book:
                                        

I'm going to use a power point to introduce the menu and each activity to the class.  I've included a link to a PDF of the slides so check it out!  If you have used menus, tic-tac-toe boards or other differentiation tools with your class, I'd love to hear about it!

Dr. Seuss Menu



1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog today and am glad I did. I have finally returned to first grade, my true love, after teaching some other grades, ELL and Reading Recovery. I look forward to giving your Dr. Seuss Menu a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete